inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

I've made it pretty clear, in the past, that I'm not the biggest X-Men fan. I read here and there, but I usually get annoyed and drop off after a few issues. It's just not my favorite thing in the world. This X-book is the first time, in years, that I'm excited to read. I've even put it on the Top of Pile list a few times, as well as my real life pull list. This is a fantastic book to get new X-readers on board.

This issue made me extremely happy. It was like a snuggie wrapped in friendship wrapped in cuddling. It's an incredibly awesome issue about learning what you become and the directions in life you can take. It's also a great issue about manipulating the heck out of people as young Scott has a talk with Mystique about Scott's perceptions of what Wolverine's school is all about.

I really enjoyed the opening to this issue. Young Scott hanging out in the real world and going to the bank was a very cool scene, especially when he discovered a few of the things in his lockbox. Cut to a few moments later, and Wolverine has to pull out the old Avengers "Members card" to keep some guards at bay in a pretty comical moment. Wolverine works well as this bizarre babysitter at the end of the issue. It's a pretty weird dynamic that I'm really enjoying in this series.

David Marquez does a stellar job on art here with Marte Gracia on colors. The scenes with young Scott looking at his lock box were not only drawn well, but they had a great tone, colorwise, to them. Marquez is not only a fantastic artist, but he remains consistent throughout the whole issue. He's fantastic with facial expressions without going over the top.

Great reveal page at the end of the issue. I like seeing the young X-Men discover new things about their future and their reactions to it. Their futures are pretty insane and piece by piece their learning a bit more about how crazy their lives will become and the way they handle it is the most interesting aspect of this book to me.

The Bad

I loved this issue, and while I hate saying "I had no problems with this issue..." I had no problems with this issue.

Wait... no... I have one. I want to see Angel and Archangel go flying.

The Verdict

ALL NEW X-MEN is one of my favorite on-going series here, and I'm not even a big X-Men fan. This issue was especially fantastic as young Scott has a talk with Mystique about his future. I loved the dialogue between the two. The art is always top notch when it comes to Marquez and Marte as well. This is a series you're going to want to read and not just because of the gimmicky story. It's just that darn good.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.