inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided
    According to Film School Rejects, the film that has a plethora of problems since day one, the adaptation of the cult classic Akira, has what many would consider another problem added to the list. Akira may end up becoming a PG-13 movie. The original film, and manga, is incredibly graphic, and the production company behind the film isn't too into that.

Warner Brothers is behind all the hoopla, according to director Albert Hughes, who is also directing this with his brother to make this another "Hughes Brothers" film, account, Albert states that Warner Brothers told him the film has to be rated PG-13. Hughes, who can't really fight against this, hopes to make a film the the vein of The Dark Knight, which really pushed the envelope on how dark and graphic a PG-13 could be, if done properly.

Can this film be done at the level of PG-13? It's been quite a while since I've seen the actual film, and I've never read the manga, but I do remember it being incredibly violent. Can you get away with graphic violence like that in a PG-13 flick? It's not something you can do off-screen, or not do at all. For me, the violence was always a part of the film. It was essential. 

There is a lot to adapt into a feature length film here, and although the Hughes Brothers said they would NOT be on board with a sequel, they are hoping to make this film good. 

When asked about the unbelievable challenge of adapting Akira, Hughes himself admitted it would be tough, but likes the fact it’s going to be a challenge. There’s a lot of material there, but some of that may and has to be stripped down, “I want to simplify everything for the audience.”

This is going to be a big film, and hopefully, it will be done well, even though Warner Brothers wants to slap a PG-13 rating on it. The film is set to come out in 2013. What do you guys think? Can you do this story justice with a PG-13 rating?
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Green ankh

It will never see the light of day.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

I hate all forms of anime but I love Akira and from what I have seen and heard about this it isn't Akira

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

NO, you can't it will suck
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

The news just gets worse and worse you can not capture the essence that was this masterpiece with out at least an R rating. like the rape scene was such a big part of the film and huge part of Tetsuo's development 

Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Timm
    @reaper2923 said:
    " I hate all forms of anime but I love Akira and from what I have seen and heard about this it isn't Akira "
    ironic, i love so much anime, but i dislike Akira. from what i've seen, you are 100% right, this move is not in good hands.
    RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RedHurricane24

And here I thought Americanizing the movie was its doom to begin with... Now it's going to be watered down... SMH

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Joe Venom

This can't be happening

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By -Vigil-

Yay! Perhaps somebody out there realizes that you don't need graphic violence to tell any story. I've seen a ton of movies (take Narnia for example) that have huge battle scenes, intense fight scenes, and moving character deaths, while keeping things at a PG level. Bump that up to PG-13, and if you think it can't be done then, you're simply lacking imagination.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yumulu

Well the anime wasn't really that violent compared to the manga. Anyway, color me cynical but fan will never be happy with a american version of a japanese classic even if it was a 2 hour long head exploding fest.

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkSyde79

Bad to worse...

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vortex13

Here I thought I would see someone blown up by someone else with just they're mind.

@-Vigil-:
    Sin City is probably one of the most faithful interpretations of a comic book, in fact it's pretty much spot on, and I'm sorry but if you were going to make it that faithful to the comic you wouldn't be able to make it PG-13. I'm honestly not a big fan of gore. I hate the saw movies, but sometimes there really is a need to shock the audience. I'm not saying that in the sense of just doing it for shock value, I think certain movies need to be violent. For instance if you are going to make a movie about child soldiers being brainwashed and trained to kill other children there is now way you could make it PG-13 , even if it wasn't violent the subject matter would get it an R rating. I honestly believe a movie like that should be violent though, not for the sake of being violent but to show how truly horrible those situations are and what these children must see and deal with. Look at Saving Privet Ryon, it is a very violent movie but it's violent serves a purpose to show how gruesome war can be. I'm not saying you have to make movies violent for everything, but a lot of films are rated R whilst not having gore or foul language and Akira is an extremely darkly toned movie. It's not just violence, there is a rape scene in the movie which is dark and like Son of Magnus said that is a big part of one of the characters development his rising anger and rage towards other people for instance.

Avatar image for daredevilwithoutfear
    Daredevilwithoutfear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like someone said Bad to Worse jeez can Hollywood just freakin stay true to the stories and quit trying to F things up!!!!

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @-Vigil- said:
    " Yay! Perhaps somebody out there realizes that you don't need graphic violence to tell any story. I've seen a ton of movies (take Narnia for example) that have huge battle scenes, intense fight scenes, and moving character deaths, while keeping things at a PG level. Bump that up to PG-13, and if you think it can't be done then, you're simply lacking imagination. "
    Have you seen Akira or read the Manga? Cut out the violence and raunchiness and their goes half the movie 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey

This is horrible news.  I don't think it will stay PG-13.  It can't.  No movie really needs swearing in it, but there is a level of GUTS coming out of people and body parts getting cut off that would keep it hard to make it a PG-13 movie.  Sounds Like W.B. wants this to be a Matrix like pop corn movie and it's not.  How utterly shitty this has become.  WTF.  Isn't it bad enought that in order to watch the original American version you have to watch it on VHS.  They made the DVD version changes in dialogue like they the people who already own it got stupider in age.  Don't water it down again.
    MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MemnochZERO

@-goldenkey All three Matrix films were rated R. 

But I have to agree with the majority of people on here about the failsauce of PG-13 Akira. The studio, like always, is thinking dollar signs first and content and story second. I find that revolting. A few months ago it sounded like they'd be pretty faithful to the manga source in terms of content (though changing the setting), now it really does sound like they want a film everyone can go see. Plus changing directors for the next film or just condensing it to one film, they might as well just shoot a live action version of the anime.
    I know making R rated genre films is risky financially but the payoff creatively is so much more rewarding. Not only is it faithful to the source, which (in the case of Akira) was geared at ADULTS, but it also frees up the director(s) from the silly restraints imposed by what you can and cannot do in a PG-13 movie. Look at the bullshit Bryan Singer went through trying to cut X2 simply because of Wolverine's berzerker rages. Several years later we get a BLOODLESS Wolverine origin movie (I was more offended by that than any canon changes)!
    Even if you left the violence to the imagination (like The Dark Knight) and kept the adult language out (the Losers) Akira is still a very adult story that isn't right for the PG-13 rating and would feel like a total diservice to the manga AND the anime film. I firmly believe people should STOP shooting for ratings and just make the film and let the MPAA do what it must.
    It's this moronic behavior that makes me wish more independent filmmakers got the rights to major works. We'd see less of this PG-13 cash mongering and start seeing more films with an honest process and execution.
    ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ms__omega

This is all i have to say.......

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Agent Buttons
    why
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Duo_forbidden

Why am I not surprised? This movie is slowly turning into another Dragon Ball Z Evolution disaster. Next thing I know, with Ghost in the Shell, it won't be placed in the future but in modern times.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By Caligula

weak

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Agent Buttons said:
    " why "
    Because God hates fanboys
    PatriceHarvey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PatriceHarvey

This movie suck before having gone out. 
    PG-13 that a fucking joke. The manga have brutality, rape, kids using drugs and alcohols. What WB want, street racing in a post-apo world???

Avatar image for bloodstonefreak
    Bloodstonefreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Bloodstonefreak

Oh dear God...  I hate when studios pull this $h!t...  :-(

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Decept-O

Not sounding very promising.  Guess we will have to wait and see.  The anime movie ranks up there as one of my personal favorite Sci-Fi movies, that's how much I liked it.   

I don't know if a live-action version will do it justice but one can only hope.  Maybe it can be toned down to PG-13, but I hope certain aspects don't get lost in that transition.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DH69

every day i start getting closer and closer to the gun store

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

KANEDA!!!!!!!!!
     KANEDA!!!!!!!!!
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hughes brothers are awesome
    YES YES YES THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Namor1987
    @Ms. Omega said:

" This is all i have to say.......

"
    Dang Shia says no alot & that should be his catchphrase lol jk
    Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mahtu

If Tetsuo doesn't splatter people's bodies against the walls and ceiling, or have foul language and a terrible temper, then it's not even gonna be CLOSE to the same story.

llagrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By llagrok

lmfao. 

A big point of the series is that they need incredibly powerful drugs to keep their powers at bay. The drugs Tetsuo eventually needs to keep his powers down, are the kind that would kill several men. Kaori is a part of his harem for crying out loud and when the other two other girls he's with at the time overdose, she doesn't take the pill and they fall in love. You can tell any story in a PG-13 setting, but you can't tell any story -well- in a PG-13 setting.

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dipic
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @-Vigil- said:
    " Yay! Perhaps somebody out there realizes that you don't need graphic violence to tell any story. I've seen a ton of movies (take Narnia for example) that have huge battle scenes, intense fight scenes, and moving character deaths, while keeping things at a PG level. Bump that up to PG-13, and if you think it can't be done then, you're simply lacking imagination. "
    Have you seen Akira or read the Manga? Cut out the violence and raunchiness and their goes half the movie  "
    This.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By InnerVenom123

Incoming fail.

glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By glforthewin

i don't know how a movy can be pg-13 if a teen gets his arm blown off. if they make it work i'll be impressed

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By -Vigil-
    @Dipic said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @-Vigil- said:
    Have you seen Akira or read the Manga? Cut out the violence and raunchiness and their goes half the movie  "
    This. "
    No. Nor do I plan to. Also, half of 2160 pages of manga is probably still to long to fit into a movie. :) 
    Kidding.
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By -Vigil-
    @Vortex13:  You actually have a point. Except, I have to ask: Why would anyone want to watch that?
    punisher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By punisher1313
    @Timm said:
    " @reaper2923 said:
    " I hate all forms of anime but I love Akira and from what I have seen and heard about this it isn't Akira "
    ironic, i love so much anime, but i dislike Akira. from what i've seen, you are 100% right, this move is not in good hands. "
    Agreed!
    pentagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By pentagram

no they can't. they would just mess it up like a majority of major adaptations. 
    p.s. akira is one of my favorte anime movies ever, so they better not jack it up

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Blackestnight1

There are some pretty bad ass martial arts films that are pg-13. But Akira should't be, that. It's supposed to be graphic.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38  Edited By Darkchild

this is unf##king belivable

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By spystreak

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Nerx
    @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @Agent Buttons said:
    " why "
    Because God hates fanboys "
    Then God should re-meet the saint of killers or better yet some nails and a cross
    MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By MrMazz

yea pg13 isnt a good fit for Akiria i mean i saw the movie never read the manga and was confused by what exactly was going on in everything but from a brutality standpoint its for sure a R and a HARD R
    mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By mrrpm01

I think they are gonna push the PG-13 to the very limit..EPIC MOVE

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By Silkcuts

How can that be a good idea?

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winnie doesn't like his anime being raped by hollywood
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#45  Edited By The Impersonator

For goodness sake, no American version of Akira. It won't turn out good. The story is set in Tokyo. How can you make an American version out of that? At least, there should be a Japanese live-action version.
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By -Vigil-
    @Nerx said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus said:
    " @Agent Buttons said:
    " why "
    Because God hates fanboys "
    Then God should re-meet the saint of killers or better yet some nails and a cross "
    Um, yikes. I have SOOOO many issues with that statement.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NightFang3

I was gonna give this movie a chance but i've changed may mind. 

ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#48  Edited By ArtJoker

ummm.... yeah gonna be difficult to do with all the psychic head explosions and what not, not to mention the part with Tetsuo transforming into a absorbing blob monster...which is incredibly graphic,even for my standards; I still get nightmares after reading the  Manga and  watching the Anime.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The Devil Tiger

I dunno, I want to be proving wrong but... 

It smell more and more like a DBZ evolution movie....:(
    PrinceSy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By PrinceSy

I did not want to see this in the start now I shan't see it all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.